Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Predator Miniatures

In the past few days, a lot of what I’ve seen and read have been something either to do with the “Aliens” or the “Predator” franchises. So today, being as I had already photographed them a while back now, I thought I’d show off my four Hunter Aliens (A.K.A Predators) from Copplestone Castings “Future Wars” range.
I got these a while back now for an AVP project which I started, and sadly, eventually gave up on. Along with the Predator models, I painted up some figures for use as Colonial Marines, and I even made my own face-hugger miniatures. I gave up on the project for the same reason many other have done when attempting AVP in 28mm, and that is the lack of reasonably priced Alien figures in this scale!

Not to let something go to waste though, my marines do see a lot of use in other games, as do these Predators when I fancy a laugh, or just like to shake things up a bit! All in all, I really like the figures and how they painted up, and even though my AVP project is on the back burner, I’m pleased to have them in my collection.

10 comments:

  1. Wow they look great, they dont look so good on the cobblestone site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SK,
      Granted there are far better Predator minis out there on the market, but then again, most of those better minis are also far more expensive! I think these are decent value for what you’re paying for. As for the images on the Copplestone site, they are nice paint jobs, it's just in my opinion, they are not the right colour schemes in keeping with the movie versions.

      Delete
  2. These look great, I'll point my son in the direction of these, his current project is "Aliens" and he's planning a blog soon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe,
      You'll have to send us a link for his blog when he's up and running! If he's doing AVP in 28mm then theses are perfect. I'm sure he's already had a look round at minis for the project, but if he's just starting, then have a look at EM4 miniatures for the marines. I went with those as I think they fit the part great and are great value for money! Also if you use any of Mantics Ghouls for your zombie project, you can make some decent face-huggers out of the spare bits! Brummies currently doin this project in a smaller scale, so he may have some good advise for your son also.

      Delete
    2. He's alreaady got most of the figures he needs for his project and he did go with EM4 minis for his marines.
      I'l certainly be pluggung his blog when it'sup and running.

      Delete
    3. Good stuff, I look forward to seeing it!
      Has he got some of the Aliens themselves? Just wondering what he went with for them, as that's what stumped the project for me.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Dave, I only own the one which I won in a competition :D They are lovely mini's though.

    Oh..... actually I do have 3 holiday Aliens from Khurasan in 15mm :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon,
      I do look forward to seeing more from your Aliens project, as mine is in need of some inspiration if I'm ever to get it going again!

      Delete
  4. I actually have these but havent been able to find advice or have a good idea myself how to paint there skin. What colors did u use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow/greenish skin tone is something I mixed up myself. I used GW colours but they have changed their names since so I'm not sure what they are called now. I think the base of it it was a mix of yellow (not sure which) mixed with I think snottling green and then lightened up with white. I think I may of added a little bit of skintone to it to make it a bit more fleshy, but to be honest I just looked up some pics and played about with it til it looked right to me. As for their markings, two of them where done with dark angels green, and the other two's where done with beastial brown. Sorry it's a bit of a pants answer mate, but I hope that helps you out somewhat.

      Delete