Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Dead By Dawn" - Diorama

Yesterday a spark of inspiration hit me, so I decided I would try to put together a late entry for the diorama contest currently running on “The Board of the Living Lead”. Even though I had until Jan 31st to submit my entry, I  got to work, and managed to come up with this!
So DVD proudly presents my competition piece entitled “Dead By Dawn”, inspired obviously by the “Evil Dead” movies.
The rules for the competition were simple. The diorama had to be no bigger than the size of a CD and must include at least two characters, of which one had to be a zombie. One of the main reasons this only took a day, was luckily I had all the materials I needed to make this piece already at hand. The only thing that I had pre made/painted was the Ash figure from Studio Miniatures.
And I chose to keep him separate and removable for wargame purposes.
Whilst trying to keep it simple and not clutter the piece, I tried to capture as many elements from the movies as I could. Adding things like the cellar, Ash’s hand and pages from the “Necronomicon” where obvious choices, and instantly recognizable to fans of the movies.
The entire structure is made from the same cardboard I used to make my scenery for my zombie game. The cellar zombies head is from one of Mantic’s Ghoul’s, whilst the arm is from a Wargames Factory zombie vixen. As for the hand and the mounted Moose head, they are spare bits I had left over from various GW models.
The frame of the window is simply cut down wooden toothpicks, while the chain and hoop on the cellar door is telephone wire which was simply stripped down and twisted.
I am very proud of this piece, and it was such a joy to put together. I think it is personally some of the best work I have done so far to date, but I’ll let you guys be the judge of that. As I said previously, this is for the “Board of the Living Lead” diorama contest, and I would like to wish anyone else who has entered the best of luck! Anyway I hope you all enjoyed this post as much as me, and for those interested in seeing the entries this will be going up against, then look no further!

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic! The original "Evil Dead" film is one of my favourite films. Any fan of the film(s) will recognise and appreciate what you've done. I particularly like the way you have painted the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan,
      It's no secret that I too love these films! As for the cabin, in all honesty, I was attempting a few techniques that are new to me which resulted in a happy accident lol.

      Delete
  2. That absolutely Brilliant Dave, Nice little details that are great when you spot them top stuff dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon,
      I knew I wanted the hand and book pages scattered about, but I couldn't stop laughing when I came across the moose head amongst my bits box!

      Delete
  3. That's one great looking bit of scenery,
    Good luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe, I'll keep my fingers crossed lol!
      In all seriousness, I'm glad I decided to enter something, as this was so much more fun to make than anything I've previously built.

      Delete
  4. Great job! I can hear the Deer head yelling "Dead by dawn! Dead by dawn!" followed by maniacal laughing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Darkoath,
      A lucky find in my bits box and I just couldn't resist putting it in there lol!

      Delete