Saturday, April 21, 2012

Halo Reach


Anyone getting a little excited? If you didn't already notice, the release date for Halo 4 has just been announced. I feel that this is a great opportunity to take a brief look at one of Bungie's previous releases (I should add that Bungie sold the Halo franchise to 343 industries fairly recently). Halo Reach. Now, as much as I enjoy the campaign in the Halo series I've always been more of a fan of the on-line multiplayer. For me it's always been a much more challenging, rewarding part of the game so I'll be referring to it and mentioning how if the Halo Reach multiplayer was a woman I'd give my left arm to be with her...or something. So, what's so good about Halo Reach?





Armour Abilities
During the campaign it becomes necessary to use a particular armour ability in order to progress(on-line they're mainly used just for shits and giggles).
For example the Jet-pack is needed in order to traverse across wide gaps in the architecture on some maps.



The Armour Lock ability (which is possibly the most annoying one of them all during online play) might be used in order to fend off attacks from heavy weaponry such as rocket launchers or plasma grenades, both reflect off and can make for some hilarious suicides.



Invisibility can be used if you're going for the stealth approach, it also jams nearby radars and spams them with enemy signals.
I've drawn some red arrows on just incase you missed him.

Sprint. This is...um... good for when you want to... go fast.


And finally, the Hologram. This allows you to project an image of yourself that continues moving in the direction you place it.
If you can't see this you should probably punch yourself in the face. 
Always works for me.


Forge
Forge allows you to steal credit card details and use them to purchase goods online. No but seriously, it allows you to go into any map you please and edit your surroundings. This is one of the most awesome additions to a game I've ever seen. As a result people are still designing new maps which are sometimes featured in on-line game play. Some use the Forge to create artistic structures or puzzles/mazes. The use of cool lighting effects can really set the atmosphere for games types such as zombies.

Theatre
This was one of my favourite additions to Halo. You can play back footage of yourself completely destroying the opposition, achieving some sort of goal or even just doing something stupid. What I found really striking though is the fact that you can move the camera where ever you want to whilst watching the footage, this gives you the freedom to choose the perfect camera angle and also to take snapshots from literally anywhere on the map.

Chill out, its only one more paragraph.
To conclude, Halo has always been a master piece in my eyes. There have been times when I couldn't stop laughing listening to some of the crazy talk that goes on during on-line play. I didn't actually mention custom games above, they can be quite hilarious. Some of the game types that people come up with, even now, are fun and original. I feel that I could still be content with this game in five years time. Of course, I'll be looking forward to seeing what 343 have got in store for us, hopefully there should be a couple of game play videos coming up in the next couple of months. You can be certain that I'll be making a few updates here and there when they do, but for now...

LONG LIVE HALO!


No comments:

Post a Comment